Thursday 20 September 2012

Christina Martin "Sleeping With A Stranger" - CD Review

"If you won't break my heart, I'll find someone who will" - The Trews (I'll find someone who will)

Christina Martin is one songwriter who will break your heart.  Her lyrics will move you in a way that few other artists can.  It feels as though she reveals a little piece of her soul in every song.  And with each reveal, the listener is drawn further into Christina's world. 

Sleeping With A Stranger is Christina's fifth release.  Produced by Dale Murray, it is an exceptional album featuring some heart-wrenchers (including the title track, Painting Blame and This Kind of Pain), fabulous storytelling about other people (Marina, Sally) as well as some up-tempo songs (Falling For You, What I Always Knew).  My favourite song on the album is the opening track Water It. I am unable to get the lyric "We were in love.  Our love never dies to the point where, it can't be grown again.  We have to water it." out of my head.

This album cements Christina in my Halifax trifecta (along with Joel Plaskett and Matt Mays).  In all a fantastic release. 

No comments:

Post a Comment